- What are the requirements for obtaining a private pilots certificate?
- What will a private pilot’s certificate allow me to do?
- How long will it take to earn a private pilots certificate?
- What does it cost to learn to fly?
- Is financing available?
- Do you offer ground school?
- How do I get started?
1. What are the requirements for obtaining a private pilots certificate?
In order to earn a private pilots certificate, a person must meet the following requirements:
› Be at least 17 years of age.
› Be able to read, speak, and write the English language.
› Obtain a minimum of 40 hours of flight time.
› Pass the required Knowledge Exam and Practical Test.
That’s it! If you meet those requirements, you are eligible to become a private pilot.
2. What will a private pilot’s certificate allow me to do?A private pilot is allowed to fly during day or night, solo or with passengers, in weather that allows for visual flight reference. Additional certifications or ratings can be added later to permit flight through clouds or low visibility conditions, to fly for hire or to fly more advanced aircraft.
3. How long will it take to earn a private pilots certificate?It will take approximately 30 flight lessons to complete the training. The length of time required depends mainly on the frequency of lessons. It is generally recommended that a student pilot arrange lessons at least twice a week; at that rate, it will take approximately four to six months to earn the certificate. If you’re only able to fly a couple times a month, you can expect your training to take over a year.
4. What does it cost to learn to fly?
The total cost for a private pilot’s certificate depends on many factors. The billing is done on hourly rates for both the planes and the instructors, so the total cost can be varied by how many total hours your training takes and which aircraft you choose to do your training in. You can keep your cost down by flying more frequently. If you fly more often, you will spend less time reviewing each lesson and will be able to progress faster, finishing in less total time and therefore spending less money.
Your form of payment can also help you to save money. We offer a 10% bonus to payments made in advance by cash or check of $1000 or more. If you take advantage of this offer, you can save yourself a significant amount of money throughout your training.
While it’s tough to estimate an accurate figure for the total cost, you can estimate it to be somewhere in the range of $10,000.
5. Is financing available?
We work with Pilot Finance to offer loans for flight training. Give us a call if you want more details on getting a loan set up.
6. Do you offer ground school?
We have actually moved away from the classroom style ground schools, and now use computer-based training instead. We are a Cessna Pilot Center, which allows us exclusive use of Cessna Pilot Center kits, produced by King Schools. The CPC kit allows you to learn all the ground information on your own time, and your own home and prepares you for each flight lesson. Since we have switched to the computer-based training, our students have been coming to their lessons better prepared and finishing in less total hours.
7. How do I get started?
You’ve already taken the first step by contacting Aviation Adventures. The next step is to try it out. Just give us a call to arrange your first flight lesson!
If you would like more information on our flight school, or if you would like to sign up for flight lessons, please contact us using any of the means below. One of our flight school representatives will contact you with the requested information. Our office is open 9:00 a.m. through 6:00 p.m., seven days per week. Aircraft rental is available 24/7 by appointment.